Tomorrow morning for the first time since 2008 our Under 19s will run out onto Gillon Oval. They’ll be coached by Trevor Ludeman who led them through the Brunswick Junior Football Club ranks since its inception in 2010.
Grew up/School: Kamarooka, farming family 50k north of Bendigo – Eaglehawk High 1973-76) and Bendigo High (1977/78). RMIT 1979-1981 – Town Planning – boarded at Whitley College Royal Parade.
AFL/AFLW team: Carlton
Playing Career & achievements: 1977-1993 – 16 seasons, appeared in finals throughout 14 years for 22 finals games, six (6) Grand finals for 5 premierships. B&F 3rd B&F 1977 & 78 – B&F 1982, RU B&F 1988 – BOG Grand Finals 1978 and 1988. Positions FB (83), CHB (84), CHF (90) and Ruck (77,78,80-82, 85-89,91,93). Loved playing in the ruck, best position on the ground!
- Northern United (Golden City and then later Bendigo Football League) 1977-1979 (U18 Premiership 1978) and 1983 & 1984 Senior Premiership beating Eaglehawk. Country football full forward legend Ron Best (34yrs) kicks 11 goals 2 to defeat the Hawks on the QEO. Ron announces retirement thereafter!
- St. Bedes 1980-82 – 1980 Reserve Premiers
- St Kevin’s Ormond – Eastern Suburban Churches Football League – B&F (Senior)
- Alexandra Football Club 1985-87 – Yarra Mountain Districts Football League and later Tungamah F.L.
- Meeniyan Dumbalk United (MDU) Alberton Football League 1988-1991 & 1993 – Premierships 1988 and 1990. Retired 1993 and came to Melbourne.
- North Old Boys: Recommenced playing with Club 18 2004-2007 (50 games). Playing coach 2006-07.
Overall around 290 games.
Major Injuries: None
Partner/Children: Wendy Canobie & Jack (18), Clinton (28)
Off field roles held at Brunswick FC: President June 2007 to 2011 – President Brunswick Junior Football Club 2010 & 2011 – Committee both Clubs 2007 to 2017. Life Member NOB’s 2012 & BJFC 2017.
First started coaching Brunswick JFC (year/age group/number of kids at first training session): 2010 with the first team, being the U10’s – win the first game at Richmond (parents were already plotting for a premiership, only win 4 games for the year!) and Daniel Mott aged 8 years, bounces the ball from back pocket to half forward line. This was code for “I’m not playing in the back pocket”!
Coached this group of players with great coaches in Paul Sinclair, Ross Coverdale and John Ross from 2010 to 2017 – 12 finals (2011-2017), three Grand finals and 2 premierships (2012 & 2013).
Quickly tell us about the resurgence of the under 19’s and where they’ve come from: The plan in 2008 was to create a player pathway from a junior club and after three years of trying we were successful in getting 14 players registered with the “new” Brunswick Junior Football Club for the first ever game in 2010. Today seventeen (17) players for the U19 have come from the Brunswick Junior Football Club.
Most have now played over 110-125 games together which is part of the reason for their success over the past 8 years, that is finals and premiership teams take time to develop.
Best player seen on the field at Brunswick/North Old Boys: Matthew Keown; his record says it all!
Under 19 player you have high hopes for: No preference as all the players are a great team with a mix of runners, key position players etc, while our objective is to play finals.
Professional career: Town Planning Consultant
Trevor Ludeman playing in an Alberton interleague game, 1990.